January 25, 2008

How I learned to stop worrying about the traffic and love the books (again)

Yeah, that Peter Seller’s movie is funny. But there is nothing funny about the traffic in Bangalore. Okay, maybe you’ll be amused for a day or two and then it starts getting on your nerves. D, the more grown up between the two of us always tells me that I should stop worrying about things that are out of my control. You know what, that is the right attitude, but it is hard when you rush out of home and you are running late for a meeting or a call or something and you have to battle the uncountable wheels and people and bad roads. And it is close to impossible to dial in to these darned meetings too. Thank you noise!

Anyhoo, let’s move on already. I guess the title of this post summarizes it all. I started (rather got back to) reading during these long commutes (I don’t drive here yet!). It helps me take my mind off the traffic and the noise and worrying about the commute times and wondering how things will improve, if at all. By the way, I guess you guys must have read about the release of the
1 lakh rupee tata nano toy car. How, just how, I wonder these roads will be able to take more traffic, and four wheelers at that. We’ll see. But I digress. I was telling you about my book. So, I am reading this book called “The Inheritance of Loss” by Kiran Desai. It won the booker prize in 2006 and I came across it, quite by accident. Or I should say, I was left with very few choices and I happened to pick this up. I had a list of books that I have wanted to read for a while now. So one afternoon, after lunch, a colleague and I walked across the street to the book store, which they claim, by the way that they are one of the most reputed book sellers in the city. They look posh, no doubt (what with being in the Leela Galleria and all) but their collection sucks. I picked the name of the books, one at a time from my list and asked the dude at the desk to help me find them. Nope, I found none! So, I decided to give Ms. Desai a shot. It hasn’t been bad so far. I’ll post my review after I am done reading it.

Oh, and this one other rant I have to write about. The ring tones on cell phones. Whatever happened to the concept of just having your phone ring, as simply as possible to tell you to answer the damn call. No. Everyone needs entertainment with each call or message they get these days. And, it also looks like your personality is judged (or assessed, or whatever) by the kind of jazzy ring tone on your cell phone. Hmph! Kids.

I think I will end this random going-nowhere post here. See you all soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a bad way to spend the unavoidable commute. BTW, has telecommuting caught on in India at all?

Roopa said...

It looks like there are very few companies that are telecommuting friendly. I have some thoughts on why that is the case. I will write about that soon! :)

vimmi said...

Traffic is a prob everywhere in India. But here in the USA too we live in charlotte NC and it takes my husband 1 hr to cver a distance of 20 miles, during rush hours.

Roopa said...

Hi Vimmi,
Thank you for stopping by. Yup, traffic is bad every where in India and I have had my share of bumper-bumper rides in the chaotic bay area as well. I lived 30 miles from work and there were days when I would spend nearly two hours on the road each way. But the biggest difference is there is still a little order to that traffic. As funny as it sounds, people here get frustrated when there is a stand still (even signals) and the notorious auto rikshaws and two wheelers start using the lane(s) meant for traffic in the opposite direction, which clogs up the whole system (whatever little). Efficient public transport should ease things out a little and we'll wait to see how Bangalore metro solves the problem. As far as the US is concerned, they continue to be the biggest consumers of all and little will be done to establish public transport in most cities. Sigh!

Anonymous said...

I reached this blog through your cooking blog. Bangalore traffic..yes..it is really a problem. But with time..you will get used to and see, you have found old hobbies back :).
By the way, I read that you have moved back to India after being in US for quite a while. I would love to know more about your experiences.